20041006

Proof - Great Wall Trip


Proof
Originally uploaded by Wasting Moments.
Relatively brief post, but lots of new pictures posted, mostly from the Summer Palace, the Great Wall, and Ming's Tombs. I'm in Xi-an now. Nice hotel, I've got a balcony with a great view of the Bell Tower. The place has free internet access, too, so I'll be able to post a bit more in the next couple days.

The language thing was tough on the great wall trip. Tour guide spoke no English. I know enough Mandarin now to ask what time the bus leaves.

I managed to find the Tibetan place I was looking for after posting last. The menu included some bizarre fare such as Yak Genitals Stewed with Tibetan Caterpillar Fungus. I went with tamer food, a creamed spinach dish with tofu and a half rack of lamb ribs. Great stuff. Some of the wait staff ended up playing some traditional Tibetan music. There's a picture in the flickr stream.

I did manage to get to the Summer Palace for a couple hours this morning, but not before being distracted by the beginning of the VP debate. The grounds of the Summer Palace are way too big, simply too much to explore in an entire day, yet along a couple hours.

I booked a spot on a CITS tour tomorrow, goes to the Terre Cotte Army Museum, the Huaqing Hot Spring and the Big Wild Goose Pagado. Normally includes the Banpo Neolithic Villiage, but it's apparently closed for restoration. The CITS tour has an English speaking tour guide, which should be nice.

I'm debating wether to do a Chinese Language tour of the sights west of the city on Friday, but am not sure whether I should do that, or just try to catch some buses and see selected stuff on my own.

I'll be posting pics and thoughts probably each night while in Xi-an, before heading back to Shanghai on Saturday.

2 Comments:

At October 7, 2004 at 5:03 AM, Blogger ken harper said...

Corey,
sounds like your trip to the great wall was pretty neat. Also sounds like you are liking the food there, although, I will pass on the Yake parts and catepiller fungus. As you know I don' eat mushrooms of any kind (fungi) and I kind of feel empathy with the yak so couldn't do that either.
Sorry, about not posting back as often as we should. I wasn't sure until the other day if you could read the post or not as your first day you had trouble getting to blogspot.
Went up to P-burgh the yesterday to see Aunt sue and grandma. Aunt Sue had printed out all of your blog including photos and brought them over so grandma could read it. She really liked your writing and loved the picture of you on the Great Wall. I also printed out some of the other pics from flickr that you didn't blog, I especially like the McTrolly!!!
I can understand why the teracotta warriors trip would be such a highlite, I was really impressed with the ones we saw that they brought over for the Knoxville, Tenn World's Fair and that was only a couple of them.
Anyway, I will answer you email also, but, you don't have to return the email just keep up the posting on the blog, it is a great way to keep in touch.
Continue to have a great trip.
Dad

 
At October 7, 2004 at 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corey -
This Blog is just fantastic! You have drawn us all into your trip and shared so much fantastic stuff with us. Thank You! I have gotten many remarks from friends about how interesting your narratives and photos are. And what a great way for usto know that the wolves have not prevailed and that you are having a GREAT time. Keep the postings coming. You have a huge audience here in the States, and it is growing every day! Put up more pictures with Corey in them. That was a real treat for me. And you will be glad when you get back to have some pictures with you in them. I loved your pictures of the Great Well, one of them even shows Chinese graffiti!luv Mom!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home