20041015

Yet Another City Scape


city-scape
Originally uploaded by Wasting Moments.
So this is really, truely my last post from China. My flight leaves in about 14 hours. I need to get some sleep, finish packing, and get to the airport.

To those of you who continue harping on the guilt trip about gifts: I hope you ingrates are happy with the crap I give you. I forsook (damn, making up words again) any more sightseeing on my final day in Shanghai, instead running all over town looking for the perfect personalized gifts for a bunch of people who've never given me anything. Now I have no idea what to do with the dozens of chopsticks I was orginally planning on giving to you all.

There's a pretty cool open air market right near my hotel. If I get up early enough, and can cram any more junk into my luggage, I'll probably head back over there for a few last minute things. Got some Yuan left over and, as it's a minority currency, there's no changing it back to US dollars.

The one bit of tourism I tried to do today was super lame. I took a couple hours to take the subway all the way across town to the Shanghai Science and Technology Museum. It was a complete waste of time. Maybe I'm just "tourismed out", as I couldn't even sustain the interest to go back into the Shanghai Museum or the Art Museum today. I think it was lousy though: a smattering of exhibits that mimic things that have been in the Science Museum in Boston since 1985, and a who lot of empty space.

All told, this trip has been amazing. I have hundreds of pictures beyond what you've seen here and on flickr. The conference was great, inspiring even. As I said, I'll post a nice long summary of my conference notes when I get back to the States. Maybe I'll post something more interesting for those of you who don't care much about metadata. I'm hoping to retain my readership, and continue doing this blogging bit, despite not being on the other side of the world. We'll see how that goes.

4 Comments:

At October 15, 2004 at 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't even want to admit I found my way here.

 
At October 15, 2004 at 11:23 AM, Blogger ken harper said...

Linda,Linda - You are repeating yourself.
Corey - glad to get the last couple of posts and have a safe trip home. Will probably talk to you sunday if you are not sleeping all day - but you won't be you need to follow football and see if you can regain your lead in the standings, whereas I have no where to go but up!!
Thought that the blog worked out great, sorry that not many of your other relatives could figure out enough about there computers to leave a comment, but, I know that several were following your exploits. Seems like you had a facinating trip. Anyway take care and grab a pillow when you board the plane.
talk to you soon.

 
At October 16, 2004 at 5:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Corey! I truly enjoyed reading your postings!! The pictures were great! As a former librarian, I'm not sure I'm quite into metadata stuff, but it certainly sounds like the wave of the future! Take care... CL

 
At October 16, 2004 at 1:23 PM, Blogger ken harper said...

corey,
I see that now you are back in the states the planes are off schedule. I checked on your flights in china and they seemed to go off early or at least on time, but, back here life as usual with the airlines!!
talk to you soon.
Dad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home