20050905

Sevilla -> Cordoba -> Granada

Spent quite a bit of time on buses the past couple of days. When last I left you, I was raving about how fantastic a town Seville is. I stand firmly by that conviction. The flamenco show Saturday night was really enrapturing. The guitarists, vocalists and dancers were all really top notch. A picture or two can be found below. If I do the fantasy football draft tomorrow evening, I may try to find a way to post a video segment between picks.

After the show, I decided to scope out a new district of the town, and found my way to a very active strip of bars and clubs on the far bank of the Rio Guadalquivir. While barhopping there, I overheard a couple of young women discussing, in English, the pronunciation of 'Willamette'. It didn't register at first, but moments later I wandered back and interrupted their conversation. Turns out, there was a crowd of a hundred or so American college students all about to start a semester abroad. A bunch of the girls were from Oregon, and I also met folks from Saratoga, Buffalo and Rotterdam. Small, small world. I hung out with this crowd until the small hours of the morning, slept in on Sunday, and made my way to the bus to Cordoba.

Cordoba was a nice town, although very small, very quaint and very much not open on a Sunday night and Monday morning. The Mezquita was open this morning, and that’s really why I went anyway. Seeing as I was only in town for about 19 hours, and was a bit hung over most of the time, it wasn’t much of a problem.

I did have my first real sit down fancy meal of the trip so far: Cordoban salmorejo (a super thick gazpacho), Cordoban churrasco (barbecued pork with a crazy Arabian garlic and chili sauce) and a half carafe of Montilla. This will probably be one of only a few top end meals worthy of photographing that you’ll get this trip. Europe is not cheap right about now, and I will probably mostly eat tapas at various bodegas. Tonight’s dinner here in Granada was tapas and a walking falafel.

Granada’s a pretty cool town so far. Apparently has a huge college population. My hotel’s adjacent to the University, about 15 minutes walk from most of the attractions. Took a long stroll upon arriving in town and it’s quite beautiful. Tomorrow morning’s the Alhambra, then probably a bit more of a walking tour, dinner and a few cervacas before the draft. I think I’ll probably try to do as much site-seeing as possible tomorrow, and stay out way to late again. It looks like this town has a pretty hopping social environment, but like all of Spain, it doesn’t really get going until after 1.

7 Comments:

At September 5, 2005 at 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I was surfing aound, I discovered your blog. Nice setup! I'd be honored if you'd check out my site about our holiday greeting cards.

 
At September 5, 2005 at 4:54 PM, Blogger ken harper said...

Corey,
I notice that a lot of comments this time from folks mainly advertising their web sites. Guess it was bound to happen, with blogs catching on, now we have "blogspam".
The pics were nice, glad you are having a good time. Weird that you ran in to folks from home over there. Anyway hope you continue to have a great time.
Dad

 
At October 30, 2005 at 2:13 PM, Blogger Roberto Iza Valdés said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At November 1, 2005 at 8:05 PM, Blogger Roberto Iza Valdés said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At November 4, 2005 at 3:00 PM, Blogger Roberto Iza Valdés said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At November 12, 2005 at 11:08 AM, Blogger Roberto Iza Valdés said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At November 15, 2005 at 8:22 PM, Blogger Roberto Iza Valdes said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home