20041102

Election Day

Like most of the nation, and probably much of the world, my eyes will be glued to the television for the next 4-6 hours. I don't really expect anything to be decided at the end of the night, but that won't stop me from watching.

Many of you probably know that I have some pretty strong opinions regarding the choice we, as a nation, are making today. That said, I'm going to refrain from being too political here. I won't be imposing either a gloating post or an angry rant tomorrow morning, in large part as a courtesy to readers with viewpoints that don't align perfectly with mine. Frankly, I have no desire to contribute anything (no matter how inconsequential my writings may be) to the divisiveness that seems pretty much universal tonight. I consider this to be incredibly contrary to the spirit of compromise, co-operation and unity that is so desperately needed to resolve the geo-political, social and economic issues we're currently facing.

I will say that the most important thing is that voter turnout is high, voting is encouraged rather than discouraged and we are given (and take advantage of) the opportunity to make a choice tonight.

As an aside (and probably a divisive one, despite what I just said), I've something to say about Eminem. I've always been entertained by the guy, but in the same vein that I'm entertained by the Three Stooges, Clint Eastwood's Spaghetti Westerns, and the whole series of Die Hard movies. These are things that have nothing to contribute to intelligent dialog, but tend to be really entertaining, either due to hilarity or some connection to primal instinct.

However, Eminem moved himself into the category of South Park by saying something important. Eminem has influence over a demographic that typically does not vote and he's attempted convince them of the importance of this particular election. I can respect that. Mosh was not supposed to be the first single off his new album, but he's released a video online. There's an excellent article about the Mosh video on Slate. It includes a link through to the video itself. Definitely worth checking out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home